Follow Me

made by Leeloumade by Leeloumade by Leeloumade by Leeloumade by Leelou

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Boy With Pink Hair

So...The Boy With Pink Hair arrived a few days ago (THANKS MOM!!), and I believe I was more excited about reading this, than Peanut--of course, he is only 2.

I bought this book for 2 reasons: 1) Perez Hilton is from my hometown, (and 2) I believe it is never too soon to teach children about acceptance and tolerance.

My thoughts...
Well, I was blown away. I was not a fan of Perez Hilton up until I read an interview about this book. I said to myself "well, why not give him a shot. No harm, no foul." Glad I did! Right off the bat you know he is paying homage to Lady Gaga's Born This Way. As we read about the Boy With Pink Hair, and the Girl with the Ponytail, I was transported back to a time when classmates of my own were made fun of for being different, or looking different. I knew that I didn't want my Peanut to grow up in a world where "kids are cruel" and are not taught any better. I only wish this book would have been around when we were kids.

This is a great book to teach tolerance and acceptance. This boy doesn't care what others think, and his parents support him no matter what.

Bottom line...I LOVED THE BOOK! I think every teacher/educator/parent should have this book in their collection. This book teaches tolerance, acceptance, and that every child is special and different in their own way!

So...thank you Perez Hilton--you have a new fan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment